Addictions are more than simply having a strong desire for something. They change an individual's behaviour so that they must satisfy their addiction. This short course is designed to appeal to anyone who works with people who have problems with addictive behaviours from drugs and alcohol through to shopaholics. Many types of addiction are covered and the process of addiction is explained in both behavioural and physiological perspectives. Different counselling methods and techniques are reviewed to enable students to develop appropriate solutions dependent upon circumstance.
Lesson 1 DRUG AND ADDICTION COUNSELLING
- Neurotransmitters and Neurons.
- The Reward System.
- Substance Abuse Review what you have been learning.
Lesson 2 TYPES of ADDICTION
- Biological Influences.
- Psychological Influences.
- Behavioural Addictions.
Lesson 3 ADDICTIONS & COMORBIDITY
- Social Anxiety.
- Negative Reinforcement.
- Personality Issues.
- Wernicke-Korsakoff’s Syndrome.
- Cognitive Deficits.
- Alcoholic Hallucinosis.
- Suicide Risk.
- Cannabis Use.
- Other Substances.
Lesson 4 ALCOHOL USE AND DEPENDENCE
- Foetal Alcohol Syndrome.
- Alcohol Withdrawal.
- How Long Does Alcohol Stay in Your Bloodstream?
- Machinery/Accidents at Work.
- Physical Health.
Lesson 5 COUNSELLING THE INDIVIDUAL WITH ALCOHOL RELATED PROBLEMS
- Assessing the Drinker.
- Drinking History.
- Motivational Interviewing.
- Drinking Diary.
- Hazardous Drinking.
- Higher Risk or Harmful Drinking.
- Dependent Drinking.
- Disulfiram (more commonly known as Antabuse).
- Ondansetron (Zofran).
- Extended Brief Intervention.
- Family Therapy.
- Group Work.
- Multicultural Differences.
Lesson 6 SUBSTANCE ABUSE AND DEPENDENCE
- Anti Anxiety Drugs
- Club Drugs
Lesson 7 COUNSELLING THE INDIVIDUAL WITH SUBSTANCE RELATED PROBLEMS
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy
- Behavioural Therapy
- Residential Treatments
- Other Treatments
- Cocaine Addiction
Lesson 8 COUNSELLING FOR ADDICTIVE BEHAVIOURS
- National Problem Gambling Clinics (UK).
- Gamblers Anonymous.
- Gamcare (UK).
- Shopping Addiction/Omniomania.
Lesson 9 THE HEALTHCARE TEAM SUPPORT NETWORKS AND SPECIFIC GROUPS
- Drugs Key worker.
- Government, Charity and Private Treatments.
- Outreach services.
- ECT – Electro Convulsive Therapy.
- Family Support.
- Review what you have been learning.