ACS Student comment: I am reading and learning so many different things I did not previously know or understand about animals. The assignment comments by the tutor are very encouraging and helpful. Lisbeth Fletcher, Netherlands, Certificate in Animal Health Care.
Note that each module in the Qualification - Certificate in Animal Husbandry is a short course in its own right, and may be studied separately.
If you select a breed which is more appropriate to your site conditions, sustainable farming can be made much easier. The following guidelines are generally applicable to most types of animals, and most breeds:
- Minimise stress to animals and health/production/disease resistance improves
- Leaving animals in the same paddock for a long period will be likely to result in higher levels of parasites (eg. worms)
- All animals need some shelter whether trees, bush or buildings
- Moving animals periodically between paddocks will help the animals health, and reduce the likelihood of any land degradation.
For certified organic produce, some practices such as vaccination, artificial lighting are restricted. Other practices such as use of certain chemicals, using certain feed additives (eg. urea) or intensive confinement of animals may be prohibited. If you plan organic farming, check the "official" requirements first.
Study alone can never guarantee career success; but a good education is an important starting point.
Success in a career depends upon many things. A course like this is an excellent starting point because it provides a foundation for continued learning, and the means of understanding and dealing with issues you encounter in the workplace.
When you have completed an ACS course, you will have not only learnt about the subject, but you will have been prompted to start networking with experts in the discipline and shown how to approach problems that confront you in this field.
This and every other industry in today’s world is developing in unforeseen ways; and while that is unsettling for anyone who wants to be guaranteed a particular job at the end of a particular course; for others, this rapidly changing career environment is offering new and exciting opportunities almost every month.
If you want to do the best that you can in this industry, you need to recognise that the opportunities that confront you at the end of a course, are probably different to anything that has even been thought of when you commence a course.
Visit our School bookshop at www.acsebook.com
- Downloadable ebooks that can be read on ipads, PC’s, Laptops, or readers like a Kindle.
- Titles are written by our principal and staff.
- Anyone can purchase books –ACS students are offered a student discount